School of Music > Admission & Aid > Auditions > Graduate/Certificate > Jazz Voice
Jazz Voice requires a pre-screen. Repertoire will be updated shortly.
Applicants have a choice between two audition formats: in person auditions or recorded submissions. Though recorded auditions are accepted, we strongly encourage applicants to audition on campus to benefit from the in-person experience of meeting our faculty and seeing our facilities.
Candidates should submit the following:
- A Ballad
- An up-tempo swing or even eighth selection
- A Bebop head with scat and/or vocalese
- A Bossa Nova or contemporary style performance
- Applicant must also, while singing, be able to play the chord changes with a swing feel on the piano to one of the following selections: Take The A Train, By Bye Blackbird, The More I See You, or I Thought About You.
- All graduate applicants will be required to submit a jazz repertoire list of known material and present one’s personally compiled book used for group performances.
- Applicant must sing and demonstrate technical proficiency of registration and range by singing a major and chromatic scale, 2 octaves (key of choice).
- Applicant must sight read 16 bars of a standard, chosen by adjudicator.
All selections, with the exception of the final requirement above, should be standard compositions commonly associated with jazz performance.