School of Music > Admission & Aid > Auditions > Graduate/Certificate > Jazz Trumpet
• BLUES - Play the melody and improvise 4 choruses. Suggested tunes: “Byrdlike,” (Key of F) “Blues For Alice” (key of F), “Sandu” (key of Eb), “Cheryl” (key of C), etc.
• JAZZ STANDARD (up tempo) - Play the melody and improvise 3 choruses. Suggested tunes: Rhythm changes (“Moose the Mooche,” “Anthropology,” etc.), “I’ll Remember April,” “Moment's Notice”, “Cherokee”, “Stablemates”, “Airegin”, etc.
• BALLAD - Play the melody and improvise 1 chorus. Suggested tunes: “Stardust”, “Darn That Dream”, “Chelsea Bridge”, etc.
We encourage all applicants, if at all possible, to audition in-person.
Applicants should be prepared to play one tune from each category:
All keys and scales are listed in Concert Pitch1. Bebop Tunes(choose one from the following list)Confirmation, Donna Lee, Half Nelson, Joy Spring, Milestones (old) 2. Ballad(choose one from the following list)Body And Soul, Infant Eyes, Darn That Dream, Never Let Me Go, Stardust3. Standard Tune(choose one from the following list)It Could Happen To You, Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum, I'll Be Seeing You, Conception, Pannonica
4. Scales (Starting notes are Bb transposed)
2-octave ascending and descending, 8th notes @ 1/4 note = mm 130
Ab melodic minor (ascending mode only)
B Dominant Diminished
C chromatic5. Applicant's choice of an additional selectionThis could be an original composition, or a standard such as: Joy Spring, Evidence, Groovin' High, Confirmation, Stella By Starlight, How Deep Is the Ocean, Byrdlike, Cheryl
6. Lead trumpet (optional)If you are interested in a focus of lead trumpet playing, please include:- Three contrasting excerpts from the big band repertoire- Ascending chromatic scale to your highest comfortable top of your range, with a fermata on that note
Recorded Interview Questions (only applicable to those who select a recorded submission to audition)
Please upload a video that is no longer than 2-3 minutes and responds to the below questions: