The teacher licensure program at DePaul is designed to
meet the needs of individuals who have earned an undergraduate music
degree from an accredited institution (i.e. music performance, jazz
studies, composition, sound recording) and wish to obtain Illinois State
K-12 music teacher licensure.
Applicants need to
- pass an audition on their major instrument
- show proof of an earned music degree from an accredited institution
- have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- submit two letters of recommendation
- show proof of passing all four sections of the Illinois State Board of Education Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP).
The program consists of courses in music education, education, and
liberal studies. Although the length of the program may vary slightly,
students generally can complete the program in four quarters, with an
additional summer quarter if needed. Classes in this program are
charged undergraduate tuition.