School of Music > Admission & Aid > Auditions > Undergraduate/Teacher Licensure > Voice
All voice applicants are required to submit a pre-audition screening video by December 1. Audio files will not be accepted.
First you must apply to DePaul School of Music. After you submit your online application, you may upload your pre-screening video under the "Portfolio Submission" section at the following website:
DePaul Pre-Audition Recording Upload
Please note the following for your recordings:
- Applicants should use songs to demonstrate different vocal techniques such as vowels that are sustained and supported over longer note values, vocal agility in passages with quick-moving notes, consistency of tone though low, middle, and high portions of the singers range, etc. Specific requirements and suggested repertoire is below.
- Each piece should be recorded as a video in a single take and uploaded as an individual track. Recordings of individual tracks edited together from multiple takes are not appropriate. Sample songs are provided below, although students are welcome to choose songs that are not on the list. Selections should be accompanied when appropriate.
- Pre-screen recordings are due December 1. If invited to submit a video audition, you must do so by February 1.
Your pre-audition screening video must include two songs, one in English and one in a foreign language.
For Fall 2021 applicants, all auditions will be submitted by February 1 as additional videos. You must wait for your pre-screen to be accepted in order to upload the audition videos.
three selections: one song in English and the other two in different languages other than English. Two of the songs may be the songs already presented on the pre-audition recording. You may reuse recordings from the pre-screen submissions, but we encourage to to submit new recordings, even if the song remains the same.
In addition to your recordings outlined above, applicants who pass the pre-screen are required to submit a video of themselves answering these questions: 1. Why have you chosen your intended major? 2. What draws you to the DePaul University School of Music? 3. What are your ultimate career goals?
The Glory of the Day Was in Her Face by Florence Price
Ride On, King Jesus by Harry Burleigh
Ah, Love, but a day! by Amy Beach
I Attempt from Loves Sickness to Fly by Henry Purcell
Bright Is the Ring of Words by Ralph Vaughan Williams
There’ll Always Be That Someone Else by Saunder Choi
Del Cabello Más Sutil by Fernando Obradors
Sebben Crudele by Antonio Caldara
Se Tu M’ami by Giovanni Pergolesi
Die Mainacht by Johannes Brahms
Sehnsucht by Fannie Mendelssohn
Beau Soir by Claude Debussy
Lydia by Gabriel Faure
Performance of two jazz standards from the Great American Songbook of contrasting tempo and style. The pre-screen performance can be with a live ensemble or pre-recorded tracks.
Each piece should be recorded in a single take and uploaded as an individual track. All prescreening materials must be submitted as an online video with high quality audio that has no reverb or other sound enhancements or modifications. Videos must be produced for the purposes of this audition (i.e. not clips from concerts or previous performances). Recordings of individual tracks edited together from multiple takes are not appropriate.
- A medium tempo jazz standard, different from one’s chosen pre-screening material, with vocal improvisation
- A 12-bar blues with melody, vocalese (if applicable), and two choruses of improvisation
- A selection of contrasting style and tempo (Bossa nova, funk, etc.)
- Sight reading
Applicant must sing and demonstrate technical proficiency of registration and range by singing a major and chromatic scale, 2 octaves (key of choice).
Accompaniment will be provided at the on-campus in-person auditions. Applicant must provide three legible lead sheets for chosen selections in his/her preferred keys for performance. The IREALPRO app can be used as backing tracks for off campus auditions, or you may find your own accompanist for regional auditions.