School of Music > Admission & Aid > Auditions > Undergraduate/Teacher Licensure > Voice
Fall 2022 Applicants: Please stay tuned for updated audition requirements.
Please note the following for your recordings:
- First you must apply to DePaul School of Music by December 1. After you submit your online application, you may upload your pre-screening video under the "Portfolio Submission" section at the following website: DePaul Pre-Audition Recording Upload.
- Applicants should use songs to demonstrate different vocal techniques such as vowels that are sustained and supported over longer note values, vocal agility in passages with quick-moving notes, consistency of tone though low, middle, and high portions of the singers range, etc. Specific requirements and suggested repertoire is below.
- Each piece should be recorded as a video in a single take and uploaded as an individual track. Recordings of individual tracks edited together from multiple takes are not appropriate. Sample songs are provided below, although students are welcome to choose songs that are not on the list. Selections should be accompanied when appropriate.
- Pre-screen recordings are due December 1. If your pre-screen is favorablty reviewed, you will then be invited to schedule a live audition.
Your pre-audition screening video must include two songs, one in English and one in a foreign language.
Applicants have a choice between two audition formats: in person auditions or recorded submissions. Though recorded auditions are accepted, we strongly encourage applicants to audition on campus to benefit from the in-person experience of meeting our faculty and seeing our facilities.
three selections: one song in English and the other two in different languages other than English. Two of the songs may be the songs already presented on the pre-audition recording. You may reuse recordings from the pre-screen submissions, but we encourage to to submit new recordings, even if the song remains the same.
In addition to your recordings outlined above, applicants who pass the pre-screen are required to submit a video of themselves answering these questions: 1. Why have you chosen your intended major? 2. What draws you to the DePaul University School of Music? 3. What are your ultimate career goals?
The Glory of the Day Was in Her Face by Florence Price
Ride On, King Jesus by Harry Burleigh
Ah, Love, but a day! by Amy Beach
I Attempt from Loves Sickness to Fly by Henry Purcell
Bright Is the Ring of Words by Ralph Vaughan Williams
There’ll Always Be That Someone Else by Saunder Choi
Del Cabello Más Sutil by Fernando Obradors
Sebben Crudele by Antonio Caldara
Se Tu M’ami by Giovanni Pergolesi
Die Mainacht by Johannes Brahms
Sehnsucht by Fannie Mendelssohn
Beau Soir by Claude Debussy
Lydia by Gabriel Faure
First you must apply to DePaul School of Music by December 1. After you submit your online application, you may upload your pre-screening video under the "Portfolio Submission" section in your application portal.
- One ballad
- One medium or up-tempo swing tune
- One ballad (only one chorus)
- One medium swing tune (demonstrating a chorus of improvisation - either scatting or strong melodic and rhythmic variations using the lyric)
- Blue Monk (demonstrating melody and 2 chorus of scatting)
- One song of your choice in an alternate style (bossa nova, samba, ECM, original composition, etc.)
- Sight reading (will be provided at audition)
* We encourage auditionees, if invited to the second round of auditions, to choose different material from those in their pre-screen recordings.
Recorded Interview Questions (only applicable to those who select a recorded submission to audition)
Please upload a video that is no longer than 2-3 minutes and responds to the below questions:
- What is your musical background?
- Why are you applying to DePaul?