School of Music > Admission & Aid > Auditions > Undergraduate/Teacher Licensure > Trombone
Successful applicants will be assigned to the applied
studios within the category (classical or jazz) for which they have
auditioned. If an applicant wishes to study in both the jazz and
classical studios they must apply for both programs. To do so, contact Giovanna Jacques at email@example.com. Students may choose to audition on either tenor or bass
trombone. Euphonium students must audition on (slide) trombone.
Please see the audition requirements below.
Applicants have a choice between two audition formats: in person auditions or recorded submissions. Though recorded auditions are accepted, we strongly encourage applicants to audition on campus to benefit from the in-person experience of meeting our faculty and seeing our facilities.
Undergraduate Tenor Trombone
- Romantic Solo (choose one): Saint-Saens Cavatine, Guilmant Morceau Symphonique, Sulek Sonata, Bozza Ballade.
- Baroque Solo (choose one): two contrasting movements from any Galliard or Marcello Sonata.
- Orchestral Excerpts (prepare all): Ravel Bolero, Wagner Ride of the Valkyries (B Major section only), Berlioz Hungarian March, Mozart Tuba Mirum.
Undergraduate Bass Trombone:
- Romantic Solo: First page of Spillman Bass Trombone Concerto.
- Baroque Solo (choose one): Two contrasting movements from Galliard or Marcello Sonata.
- Orchestral Excerpts (prepare all): Wagner Ride of the Valkyries (B Major section only), Schumann Rhenish Symphony, Berlioz Hungarian March, Wagner Das Reingold (entrance of the Gods only).
Recorded Interview Questions (only applicable to those who select a recorded submission to audition)
Please upload a video that is no longer than 2-3 minutes and responds to the below questions:
- What is your musical background?
- Why are you applying to DePaul?
Entire pre-screening video should be no more than 15 minutes in total. Performances with a “live” rhythm section are preferred, but play-along recordings are also acceptable. In either case, only the applicant should be featured (no solos by other instruments other than trombone). You must submit your application in order to receive the login information to upload your pre-screen.
1) Any one etude from Bordogni/Rochut Melodious Etudes Vol. 1
2) Any three major scales, two-octaves, legato.
3) Three varied jazz selections in different styles (ballad, swing, straight-eighth note, etc) including the melody and improvisation choruses.