School of Music > Admission & Aid > Auditions > Undergraduate/Teacher Licensure > Trumpet
Successful applicants will be assigned to the applied
studios within the category (classical or jazz) for which they have
auditioned. If an applicant wishes to study in both the jazz and
classical studios they must apply for both programs. To do so, please contact Giovanna Jacques at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see the audition requirements below.
Applicants have a choice between two audition formats: in person auditions or recorded submissions. Though recorded auditions are accepted, we strongly encourage applicants to audition on campus to benefit from the in-person experience of meeting our faculty and seeing our facilities.
- Haydn: Trumpet Concerto in E-flat; 1st movement: exposition and development sections ending at measure 110(at the concert D-flat)
- Charlier: Etude no. 4
- Mahler: 5th Symphony: beginning - 4 measures after rehearsal 1, rehearsal 7 - 1 measure before rehearsal 8, 1 measure before rehearsal 13-2 measures before rehearsal 14
- Stravinsky: Petrouchka (1947) 1 measure before rehearsal 134-1m before rehearsal 139
- Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition; Promenade beginning - rehearsal 2
- Strauss: Ein Heldenleben, 1st E-flat part; 7m after rehearsal 49-1 measure before rehearsal 53
Recorded Interview Questions (only applicable to those who select a recorded submission to audition)
Please upload a video that is no longer than 2-3 minutes and responds to the below questions:
- What is your musical background?
- Why are you applying to DePaul?
Entire pre-screening video should be no more than 15 minutes in total. Performances with a “live” rhythm section are preferred, but play-along recordings are also acceptable. In either case, only the applicant should be featured (no solos by other instruments other than trumpet). Pre-screens can only be uploaded after the application has been submitted.
1) Clarke Technical Studies For Cornet, Etude II (pg 9) mm=120+
2) Any three major scales, two-octaves, legato.
3) Three varied jazz selections in different styles (ballad, swing, straight-eighth note, etc) including the melody and improvisation choruses.
6. Lead trumpet (optional)If you are interested in a focus of lead trumpet playing, please include:- Three contrasting excerpts from the big band repertoire- Ascending chromatic scale to your highest comfortable top of your range, with a fermata on that note7. Classical ComponentIn addition to jazz répertoire, please be prepared to play a piece demonstrating your abilities in the classical style.Movement II, Haydn Concerto For Trumpet or similar lyrical solo8. Scales (starting notes are Bb transposed)8th notes @ 1/4 note = mm. 120 (ascending and descending)2-octave Ab Major Scale2-octave G Mixolydian2-octave Bb dorian2-octave B majorRecorded Interview Questions (only applicable to those who select a recorded submission to audition)Please upload a video that is no longer than 2-3 minutes and responds to the below questions:
What is your musical background?
Why are you applying to DePaul?