Trumpeters may choose to perform either a classical or jazz audition. Applicants who wish to schedule both may do so.
Successful applicants will be assigned to the applied
studios within the category (classical or jazz) for which they have
auditioned. If an applicant wishes to study in both the jazz and
classical studios they must participate in both a classical and jazz
Please see the audition requirements below.
Prepare two contrasting movements from the standard solo repertoire, scales and sight-reading.
All jazz applicants (regardless of intended major) are required to submit a pre-audition screening video through our Acceptd page by December 1. Pre-screenings must be in video format. All videos received after December 1 will only be considered based on the availability of audition times. Upon passing the pre-screening, you will receive notification by no later than December 20 inviting you to schedule your live audition.
- 2nd movement of Haydn Trumpet Concerto
- Billie's Bounce from Aebersold Vol. 6. - Play the melody twice, followed by improvisation for 4 choruses
- Autumn Leaves from Aebersold Vol. 44 - Play the melody once, followed by improvisation for 4 choruses
- Jazz Etudes:
Live Audition Requirements
- Prepare the following eight jazz etudes:
- Play the melody and improvise to a play-a-long recording for both Billie's Bounce (concert F) by Charlie Parker and Summertime (concert D minor) by George Gershwin
- Perform a selection of your choice from the standard classical repertoire