School of Music > Academics > Minors, Double Degrees & Double Majors > For DePaul University Students

For DePaul University Students

The School of Music now offers three minors to DePaul University students who are majoring in an area of study outside of music. Choosing a music minor together with your undergraduate major can help compliment and broaden your studies here at DePaul. Each minor provides students with an introduction to music history and music theory alongside their specialized curriculum.

Music Industry: Music Business
The Music Business minor includes introductory music history and music theory courses as well as courses that are part of DePaul’s Performing Arts Management program.

Music Industry: Music Recording
The Music Recording minor includes introductory music history and music theory courses as well as sound recording and commercial music production courses.

Music Studies
The Music Studies minor includes an introduction to music history course and a music theory course alongside four music courses of your choice that are part of the Arts and Literature Domain including topics such as rock music, world music and songwriting.

Students should consult with their home college academic advisor on how minors fit into their academic careers. 

What is the difference between a music major and a music minor?

Current DePaul University students who are interested in transferring into a major degree plan within the School of Music are called inter-college transfer applicants.  As an inter-college transfer applicant, students must submit an Inter-College Music Transfer Form, submit any additional pre-screening or portfolio requirements (requirements vary by major), complete an entrance audition, and submit an unofficial transcript to the Music Admissions Office. Music minors do not require an audition. The minors provide an overview of music theory, history, and specialized skills in each content area.

How many credits are each minor?

Music Industry - Music Business: 26 credits
Music Industry – Recording: 22 credits
Music Studies: 24 credits

When should I declare a minor? 

Minors can be declared at anytime throughout your academic career. Students should consult their academic advisor on how minors fit into their academic careers.

How do I declare a minor? 

DePaul University allows you to manage your academic career online via Campus Connect. Using the Declarations and Inter-College Transfers  tool, you can change your college, major, minor and concentration on your own.
Before using the Declarations and Inter-College Transfer tool, please be sure to research the college, major, minor and/or concentration you wish to declare by reviewing the University Catalog, running a What-If degree progress report (DPR) or talking to an advisor in the Office of Academic Advising Support (OAAS).

How do I earn a minor? 

Earn a grade of at least C- in each minor field course. The pass/fail option may not be selected for courses in the minor.
Earn a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.000 for all courses applied to the minor.  Complete at least 50% of the required credit hours for the minor through DePaul coursework.

Can I substitute coursework for any of the minor required courses? 

There are no DePaul courses that serve as substitutes for the required music minor courses.  Students may request a review of transfer credit for substitution credit from the music associate dean of academic affairs, located in the music college office.

Can my minor credits count toward my major requirements? 

Yes.  All credits that may apply toward the major, Liberal Studies, Honors Programs, and/or open electives may also apply toward the minor.

Can current DePaul music majors declare a music minor? 

No.  The music minors are currently only available to students outside the School of Music.

How will I know if the minor will fit into my degree plan?

Students should consult with their academic advisors on how minors fit into their academic careers.  In addition, students may consult their degree progress report (found in Campus Connect > Advising, Progress, & Graduation > View Degree Progress Report) to understand their requirements better.

What happens if I don’t finish the minor before graduation? 

A minor does not have to be completed in order to graduate. 

All inquiries regarding our music minors should be directed to the School of Music College Office.