DePaul University School of Music > Resources > Performance Office >
Practice space is open only to currently enrolled DePaul School of Music students. Students not currently enrolled in the DePaul School of Music, including alumni, are not permitted to use School of Music facilities to practice without express permission from the Facilities Manager.
Practice Rooms: Practice Rooms are located in the Music Annex (2130 N. Kenmore), open from 7 am until 9 pm; the lower level of the Concert Hall, open from 7 am until midnight; and in O'Connell Hall (1036 W. Belden), open from 9 pm until midnight.
Studios: Many applied studio teachers allow students to sign out their studio for practice time. Please see your applied teacher or the receptionist to find out if this is an option for your studio.
Classrooms: Students are able to reserve unassigned classrooms on a daily basis at the front desk. The chamber music rehearsal room can also be signed out daily for group practice.
Practice rooms, studios, or unassigned classrooms are not to be used by DePaul students to teach private lessons to their own students.
Chamber Music Room (Room 224): Room 224 is primarily for chamber music coaching and rehearsal space for student ensembles and can be signed out up to two days in advance at the front desk for group practice. The majority of the time will be open for sign-out, although some time will be set aside for regular coachings and classes. The main purpose of this space is for chamber groups to have access to a large space.
ROOM 224 RULES:
• THIS IS NOT A SINGLE-PERSON PRACTICE ROOM!
• A faculty member’s need may override a student’s signed out time, if absolutely necessary.
• If the door is locked, the key may be obtained from the reception desk. You must return the key immediately after unlocking the door.
• You must be present to sign out the space. No requests will be taken over the phone or via email.
• The room may be signed out no more than two days in advance.
• The room may be signed out for up to two hours maximum. If the room is free after your scheduled time is up, you may stay in the room.
• No jazz combos or electric instruments are permitted in room 224.
• Please respect others by ending your rehearsal promptly and leaving on time.
• If the scheduled group has not assembled 10 minutes after their starting time, the time slot will be forfeited.
• A Public Safety officer will open the room for use on Sundays when the building opens. There is no key distribution on Sundays, as the reception desk is closed.
• If you’re found violating the above rules, your use of the room will be revoked. For special requests, comments, or concerns, please contact the Receptionist.
Recital Hall and Concert Hall Reservation Policies
• The Concert Hall and Recital Hall can be used for recordings or rehearsals, any time within regular building hours.
• To reserve either hall, you must speak with or email the Facilities Manager.
• Halls can be reserved for a maximum of two (2) hours per day.
• Halls must be reserved at least two days but not more than one month in advance.
• Any student found abusing the use of the hall(s), or who has not followed proper procedure to reserve the space, may have future privileges revoked.
• Changes or cancellations must be communicated via email or in person as soon as possible.
Piano Tuning Requests
Please identify the piano by room number and leave detailed requests in a voicemail message for the piano tuner (773) 325.4399 (ext. 54399 if calling from DePaul phone). Any further questions or concerns may be directed to the Facilities Manager.
Instrument Locker Rental
Lockers are rented on a first-come, first-serve basis. A rental fee of $20 applies (cash or check only) and must be paid at the time of rental. Locker rental takes place at the beginning of September and is good for one school year.
Instrument Lending Policy
Any instruments owned by the School of Music, (examples include piccolos and alto flutes, English horns, doubling clarinets, contrabassoons, baroque bows, and various other brass and string instruments, etc.) might only be used by students who are currently enrolled in the School of Music at the time of their use. Priority is given to students who may need an instrument for a School of Music ensemble. To sign out an instrument, please see the Facilities Manager.
Alumni may be granted very occasional special permission to use an instrument for an audition or on-campus special event. This permission must be obtained from both the studio instructor and the performance chair. Special requests should be made in writing, and addressed to the Facilities Manager, who will contact the appropriate faculty member for further discussion. Permission will not be granted to alumni or area musicians for use in a local job or “gig” of any kind.