Please prepare the following flute excerpts. Preparing the piccolo excerpt is strongly encouraged.
Oboe auditions will consist of all of the listed excerpts.
Along with the music included here, please be prepared to play a two octave C Major scale (Concert Bb,) at the tempo quarter note = 60, slurred.
Please prepare each excerpt as written.
Please prepare the following as marked:
Horn auditions will consist of the below pieces.
Trumpet auditions will consist of all of the listed excerpts. If the link leads you to an external website, click on the music image to expand it and then right-click (Mac: Control-Click) on the larger image and select "Save image as...".
You may save the image in a location most convenient for you and print the music if needed.
Students that want to be considered for tenor trombone positions should prepare the three tenor trombone excerpts.
Click below to download the Tuba excerpts:
Percussion Auditions will consist of all excerpts (see exemption for timpani below). PDF excerpts are not available for percussion excerpts. It is the students' responsibility to locate excerpts for percussion auditions.
Found in Raynor Carroll Orch. Rep./Snare Drum
- Prokofiev, Lt. Kije--Movement 1 (1 to 3)
- Rimsky Korsakov, Capriccio Espagnol--Movement 3-Alborada (beginning to K)
Found in Goldenberg's Modern School for Xylophone, Marimba & Vibraphone
- Gershwin, Porgy and Bess (1st 18 measures)
- Khachaturian,Gayne Ballet, Dance of the Rose Maidens (1 to 3)
Found in Raynor Carroll Orch. Rep./Book 2 Glock
- Dukas, Sorcerer's Apprentice (17 to 4 after 19)
- Glazounov, Violin Concerto (51 to 53)
Found in Goldenberg's Modern School for Snare Drum.
- Dvorak - Carnival Overture - Beginning to letter C
Timpani excerpts can be found in Modern Method for Tympani by Saul Goodman. All students are required to play the etude # 71. Those wanting to be considered for a timpani position are required to additionally play the following excerpts.
- Beethoven 5th Symphony - 4th movement, Allegro (bar 374-395)
- Beethoven 9th Symphony - end of 4th movement - Poco Allegro, stringendo to end
Prepare sections where indicated:
Click here to download the violin excerpts
- Beethoven Symphony No. 3 Scherzo
- Debussy - La Mer
- Strauss - Don Juan
Prepare sections where indicated: Click here to download the viola excerpts
- Beethoven Symphony 5, 2nd movement: bar 1-10, 49-59, and 98-106
- Mozart Symphony No. 35: 1st movement bar 41-66, 4th movement bar 134-181
- Don Juan: beginning to D
Please prepare the below excerpts.
Please prepare the following marked parts:
Each audition will begin with an assessment of sight-singing skill, typically from an 8-measure exercise in major (freshman-sophomore) or minor (junior-graduate). Next, pitch memory may be tested as the student remembers and sings a succession of three pitches played for them on the piano. Dr. Esparza will lead students through some scales to assess vocal range. Finally, singers will perform the designated excerpt that must be prepared ahead of time. The excerpt is from J.S. Bach’s Singet dem Herrn. The audition excerpt and a Sight-Singing Assessment Guide is provided online to help you prepare for your audition.
Jazz Audition Requirements:
Audition requirements will be posted at a later date.
Note: if you are a vocalist interested in auditioning for placement in a large or small jazz ensemble, please contact the Director of Jazz Studies for pre-screening requirements.
For each 10-minute audition, prospective ensemble participants will be evaluated in the areas of sight-reading, chart interpretation, and improvisation in varied styles. All auditioning students may be asked to provide all or some combination of the following:
Note: All lead sheets/charts and play-along recordings/accompaniment for the following selections will be provided at the audition. You do not have to memorize the above selections, but you should not be sight-reading them.
Melody statement and solo improvisation to be selected by the panel from the following compositions (a reference play along is provided in parenthesis):
- “Children of the Night” – Wayne Shorter (Aebersold 33)
*Bassists – please know written bass line and melody.
*Pianists and guitarists – please know written line with accompanying rhythm as well as the melody.
*Everyone – melody and changes
- “Speak Low” (V) – Kurt Weill/Ogden Nash (Aebersold 25)
- “Now’s The Time” (V) – Charlie Parker (Aebersold 6 and 123)
- “September in The Rain” (V) – Harry Warren/Al Dubin (Aebersold 40 and 107)
- “Hot House” – Tadd Dameron (Aebersold 94)
- “Just Friends” (V) – John Klenner/Sam Lewis (Aebersold 34 and 59)
A sight-reading selection/etude to evaluate counting ability, comfortable range, and conceptual interpretation of common practices in the idiom.
- Scales, arpeggios and other fundamental techniques.
- For rhythm section players: comping, walking, and performing in varied styles, contemporary feels (Latin, funk, etc.), and tempi.
- For vocalists: performance of two selections in contrasting style with live accompaniment
In addition, all brass, woodwind, and rhythm section musicians must prepare the following excerpt from Thad Jones’ “Tiptoe”
- Trombones and bass – unison soli
- Trumpets, saxophones, and rhythm section – Shout section